View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 FaceGen SDK integration 
Rank 3
Rank 3

I think it'd be pretty interesting if xstoryplayer integrated FaceGen. It's used in bunch of big games like Oblivion and the Fifa games to generate faces for those games. The most interesting feature is that it has the ability to generate 3D models of faces from photographs. That means you could get photos of a celebrity or just someone you know and have them play the role of one of the characters in xstoryplayer. That's a pretty exciting idea.

There's a demo video of FaceGen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8S4eJE8N9g

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:39 pm
Rank 11
Rank 11

This is such a fantastic idea. There was this girl I had, 30 years ago ... and I still have her picture ... so many things we did, and things we didn't but I wish we had ...

+ 1 million!

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:53 am
Rank 15
Rank 15

I agree that this would be a fantastic idea to have implemented in XStoryPlayer's features. It opens up a whole new realm of possibilities and many more fantasies.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:27 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

The facegen software is a good starting point for creating 3d models. It seems possible to integrate the product in software by using the SDK, so that maybe something worthwhile looking into in the future.
Anyone made some nice (female) faces with the software? Post them please in the screenshots section.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:26 pm
Rank 10
Rank 10

Anybody know Star Trek Deep Space Nine? This episode popped into my mind:

(An alien customer of Ferengi bar man Quark wants an erotic holosuit program of Major Kira Nerys, a female officer.)

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Meridian_%28episode%29
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kira_%28hologram%29

I wonder how many years it will take from now on until we see celebrities in those games, no need for Photoshop. ;)

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:58 pm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Some quick example images posted here for you viewtopic.php?f=4&t=846

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:02 pm
Rank 17
Rank 17

Looks very accurate. But do keep in mind that for legal reasons, X Moon Productions would have to get the permission to use any model's likeness for use in XSP.

HOW TO START MODDING

Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:13 am
Rank 3
Rank 3

Of course - X Moon wouldn't include the likenesses of any models, just the FaceGen SDK integration. Then users could privately source images of whoever they wish to create their own private experiences. Legal action averted!

Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:40 pm
Rank 12
Rank 12

One advantage of using FaceGen would be that you wouldn't need a separate face customization UI within XStoryPlayer, since the users could download the free version of FaceGen and use that to create a face, then save the face as an FG file and load that file into XStoryPlayer.

Of course, if you want to support body customization, you will anyway need customization UI controls for that, and once you have those, using an external program for face customization starts looking strange. But for body customization it might be enough to have a few pre-made body types and textures to choose from. In that case it could make sense to have a separate process for face customization and use FaceGen for that. Of course, you can use the FaceGen SDK also to implement a face customization UI within XStoryPlayer, but that would be more work.

However, my worry would be that FaceGen SDK licensing might be rather expensive and that money might be better spent elsewhere. I think it will either cost well above $1000, or there will be a per-unit license fee.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:06 pm
Rank 6
Rank 6

xpadmin wrote:
The facegen software is a good starting point for creating 3d models. It seems possible to integrate the product in software by using the SDK, so that maybe something worthwhile looking into in the future.
Anyone made some nice (female) faces with the software? Post them please in the screenshots section.
will it be in the next version ? I think it lifts the software enormously

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next