View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 How would you design X-Moon City? 
Rank 12
Rank 12

:D players apartment built on top a central subway hub: I like what Nautica mapped plus what I said players apartment built on top a central subway hub

Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:09 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

I'd rather see a more organic city TBH. The layout in the current game is fine as far as I'm concerned and just needs the connecting street. And as for having an apartment on top of the central subway hub, where all the freaks, homeless, and addicts hang out? No thanks.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:04 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

An organic city might not be the best choice design wise, given the nature of XStoryPlayer. Chances are that the real X-Moon City will be designed with all points of interest within walking distances of each other. Which is when I "designed" my version to be circular in shape.

I've put some thought into what's my center block is by the way. This could be the corporate tower in the middle of the city, seeing as that is one of the pressing locations needed in version 3 and I figured why not.

I've also put some more thought in the geography of the city, namely the outside of it. I want a desert oasis city because I thought it would be the easiest to render and was shying away from water because I how game currently performs at the public pool, at least on my computer. I'd have to see how version 3 handles water bodies and by that time, X-Moon City would have probably have an layout so discussing it's external geography.

Though, given what little we've seen of the upcoming city, the external geography could all be obfuscated by trees on all sides for all we know...

HOW TO START MODDING

Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:43 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

Pickled Cow wrote:
An organic city might not be the best choice design wise, given the nature of XStoryPlayer. Chances are that the real X-Moon City will be designed with all points of interest within walking distances of each other. Which is when I "designed" my version to be circular in shape.

I've put some thought into what's my center block is by the way. This could be the corporate tower in the middle of the city, seeing as that is one of the pressing locations needed in version 3 and I figured why not.

I've also put some more thought in the geography of the city, namely the outside of it. I want a desert oasis city because I thought it would be the easiest to render and was shying away from water because I how game currently performs at the public pool, at least on my computer. I'd have to see how version 3 handles water bodies and by that time, X-Moon City would have probably have an layout so discussing it's external geography.

Though, given what little we've seen of the upcoming city, the external geography could all be obfuscated by trees on all sides for all we know...

You're entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that I'd find it more immersive if the city could be a real city that actually exists. It still bothers me immensely that a janitor and a fashion photographer both apparently live in the same building. (Nevermind that the open floor plan apartments lack a kitchen or bathroom. No wonder Bob eats so much pizza and keeps the boxes.)

Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:38 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

[quote=You're entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that I'd find it more immersive if the city could be a real city that actually exists. It still bothers me immensely that a janitor and a fashion photographer both apparently live in the same building. (Nevermind that the open floor plan apartments lack a kitchen or bathroom. No wonder Bob eats so much pizza and keeps the boxes.)[/quote]

lol, bob does love his pizza =) So far the screenshots of the city look great. For me it doesn't have to be a real city per say, just big enough and functional. Nothing ruins immersion more than the game lagging out because the world is too large. I think it should be more of a small city. The buildings don't have to be huge. I think we all have similar visions as to what we want to see. only difference really is scale. I trust Xmoon, i believe whatever they do will be enjoyable and display as much realism as they put into their characters. they have been innovative and very customer conscious thus far. I don't expect that to change.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:04 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

Nautica wrote:
[quote=You're entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that I'd find it more immersive if the city could be a real city that actually exists. It still bothers me immensely that a janitor and a fashion photographer both apparently live in the same building. (Nevermind that the open floor plan apartments lack a kitchen or bathroom. No wonder Bob eats so much pizza and keeps the boxes.)

lol, bob does love his pizza =) So far the screenshots of the city look great. For me it doesn't have to be a real city per say, just big enough and functional. Nothing ruins immersion more than the game lagging out because the world is too large. I think it should be more of a small city. The buildings don't have to be huge. I think we all have similar visions as to what we want to see. only difference really is scale. I trust Xmoon, i believe whatever they do will be enjoyable and display as much realism as they put into their characters. they have been innovative and very customer conscious thus far. I don't expect that to change.[/quote]

It doesn't have to be huge to be immersive. There's a lot of tricks that level designers can use to make a game world appear larger than it is. Also, you can make the game world huge without lagging out by reducing the level of detail in the distance. Modern 3D engines already do this.
Size isn't the issue though, the layout is. Building a city around a ring with the player centrally located is enough to break immersion for me. Having an organic layout, even if the points of interest are rather conveniently located, is fine.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:20 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

burning wrote:
It doesn't have to be huge to be immersive. There's a lot of tricks that level designers can use to make a game world appear larger than it is. Also, you can make the game world huge without lagging out by reducing the level of detail in the distance. Modern 3D engines already do this.
Size isn't the issue though, the layout is. Building a city around a ring with the player centrally located is enough to break immersion for me. Having an organic layout, even if the points of interest are rather conveniently located, is fine.

If "fast-travel" options are present in Version 3.0, then player housing doesn't need to be in the center. I'd also like to point out what I said in my first post.

Pickled Cow wrote:
I decided to take a quick crack at it. And then remembered that I'm horrible at map design so I just when with something based off the X-Moon logo.

That being side, I think it's safe to say that the real X-Moon City will not look like what I have made. It will probably be smaller than I what I have made as well.

HOW TO START MODDING

Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:27 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

Pickled Cow wrote:
burning wrote:

If "fast-travel" options are present in Version 3.0, then player housing doesn't need to be in the center. I'd also like to point out what I said in my first post.

Pickled Cow wrote:
I decided to take a quick crack at it. And then remembered that I'm horrible at map design so I just when with something based off the X-Moon logo.

That being side, I think it's safe to say that the real X-Moon City will not look like what I have made. It will probably be smaller than I what I have made as well.

True, true. I will say that your map would work for something like a city on a spaceship or elsewhere where efficient use of space is necessary.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:53 pm
Rank 17
Rank 17

I've gone ahead and started work on city tile set to better illustrated and make maps easier.
Attachment:
File comment: This is a path laying test more than anything.
basic map.png
basic map.png [ 9.82 KiB | Viewed 13034 times ]

I only have basic roads for but I'll start work on basic buildings tomorrow.

HOW TO START MODDING

Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2