View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Custom Clothing (help needed) 
Rank 6
Rank 6

I dove head first into the modding tutorials and have come pretty far in two days with clothing modeling all things considered. (my designs could use some tidying up as far as the vertices go, but I've got the basic idea)

I have two issues:

1. There is a strange "bubble" that exists in two spots in the clothing. I thought maybe it was an issue with uneven or mismatched vertices. But I can't even temporarily smooth them out by tugging on the clothing. It looks as though the texture is changing size between the sides and front/back. but i didnt change things in a way that would explain that (I don't think I did anyway). wondering if anyone has any ideas. (images attached)
  2. Second is that I am having difficulty with my own textures. I have done enough graphical editing to understand how to position things (it seems it will mostly be trial and error in the beginning based on the other textures I looked at. then maybe you start to learn the general areas and directions things need to go in for the different articles of clothing). my issue is how to get the textures from a "textures" directory inside my plugin directory to load into the game to be a choice in the first place. The texturing part of the tutorials is vague and barely explains things before saying "That's it, You have done it". Though considering others have done it, I suppose it is likely its just me not able to get it

Sorry for being so wordy, I get that way sometimes. Any guidance is appreciated.
I'm gonna go start fixing this particular garment (the tidying of the vertices i mentioned), and design some more while waiting patiently for very nice people to help me :D

Attachment:
saiko bubble 1.jpg
saiko bubble 1.jpg [ 459.14 KiB | Viewed 17197 times ]

Attachment:
saiko bubble 2.jpg
saiko bubble 2.jpg [ 476.37 KiB | Viewed 17197 times ]

Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:57 pm
Rank 17
Rank 17

My best guess is that would be a texture unwrapping issue where the uv's are being stretched something like this

Inside your pack_cloth\sources\scenes\textures (this is where all your textures go)
then make sure the clothing has a shader assigned in maya and the ini

Code:
shader "AA_dress1"
{
  view_offset = 0.03;
  norm_offset = 0.003;

cull_face = false;//no culling

anis = true;
//The anis = true means anisotropic filtering is used for the texture.
//This is more expensive, but for floors e.g. it solves the fuzzy fading in the distance.
}

Then check out the other plugins for how to do the plugin part
for type dress is 0, bra is 1 and panties are 2

ESKARN'S TUTORIALS

Eskarn's Dungeon Mod(BETA)

Eskarn's puzzle map (story)

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:43 am
Rank 6
Rank 6

I read it a while ago and just started to dive back in with the new info. I just now realized I didnt say anything back. I am not sure exactly what the first image is showing me, but I started doing some research on the keywords you used in its description and found out how to relieve some of the stretch in the UVs by optimizing them. (I have maya 2018 so I have the UV Editor) so I selected the entire dress and clicked optimize. No more red anywhere on it, meaning no stretching anywhere. run filemaker, launch the test, and the distortion is not only still there, but worse. (not by much though). I tried to make the bind mesh a bit bigger, just in case, but of course no luck.

Like I said though, I didnt fully understand what you intended by the image, and words. I am new to maya so many of the keywords are still foreign to me so I probably didnt find the correct fix for it.

The texturing thing you mentioned made me feel a bit like facepalming though. I was still using pack_abducted for the clothing. (was wondering where the resources were to model things for monica). I dont know how much of a change there is between that and pack_cloth from the tutorial files, so i may still have the problem. But I need to do some reorganizing of my modding installation to use the new pack, then clean the mess that makes afterwards. Then Ill see what happens. I may even try to re-create my modded saiko dress to see if my texture issue also gets recreated.

Edit: Got my installation switched over to use pak_cloth. but apparently you can't test with it? do i still test with abducted? I try to change things over and it tells me it is missing characterShape, as well as some bvh files. probably more but I stopped filling in the gaps from another pack because I felt like I was doing something wrong again.

Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:19 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

i just copied the entire scenes folder over from a dungeon pack to get all the needed assets, you don't actually need all the assets but its easier

UV's are the model but 2d so you can texture them, the idea is to have the model broken up into strategic pieces to make it easier to texture and making them take up about the same size per uv so you don't get stretching then you try to hide the seams where the textures join at the edges like Saiko's top with the buttons or Monica's zip

Saiko's top is broken into 4 pieces that go straight down
The 2d bounds are the dark gray box and the other 3 will overlap but thats fine with a seamless cover texture like the flower's
it also repeats 4 times down and 2 times across to make it look more high res without needing a higher res texture
However if we wanted to do precise texturing like adding a big blue dot you notice how it applies everywhere and with it repeating it applies more

To do a more precise texture job the UV map would have to be like this where there is no overlap and all the polygons have their own space
(ignore the overlapping collar part its using another texture slot and does not interfere)

Or the Saiko's been through some shit look

I have broken my uv into oblivion and cant reproduce your bubble effect, so feel free to send me the .ma and .ini if you want me to have a look

ESKARN'S TUTORIALS

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:46 am
Rank 6
Rank 6

I really appreciate you taking the time to break all that down for me, it is making alot more sense now. but naturally, The answers create more specific questions. If you ever get tired of answering them, feel free to ignore my posts. :P

So you say with the first texture map there is "overlap", which I am guessing you mean at the edges where the UVs touch? (Hopefully I am using that right. it sounds like a UV is a "piece" of a broken down 3d model) Which is what causes some issues with seams, especially when you dont have a repeating texture.

The difference between the UV maps (one repeating and one not) is interesting. I suppose you could use the second with a higher res picture to use designs that aren't meant to repeat. I also suppose that little nugget of info was the point of demonstrating the difference. lol ;)

The real question though, is how to switch the UV map? (there is so much to maya, I learn fast but it still feels a bit like a mountain is being thrown at me, lol)

Also, these explanations make it sound like you shouldn't let the game texture the cloths, you should do it within maya ( I was not doing that. I knew I could, one of the tutorials I watch showed an overview of that particular tool, I just thought it wasn't necessary) and if that is the case, how do the textures built into the pack work on them? is there a way to create a UV "template" within maya so the game knows how to apply textures outside of your plugin?

also, thanks for the tip about copying the assets over. that will help.

Edit: I just learned you can't attach those files. Good thing I have a file hosting account, lol
https://sabercathost.com/m8fm/button_up.ma
https://sabercathost.com/m8fl/button_up.ini

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:55 pm
Rank 17
Rank 17

The overlap is for the default Saiko dress UV where it is 4 pieces however that dark gray box is the space they occupy, they are moved to the side but still in that single dark gray box
but you don't notice that because of the single repeating seamless texture

To UV unwrap a model you can use the Maya tools however i have never touched them so google and YouTube are your best bet for learning how to do that
I use a program called 3D Coat which has nice unwrap tools and then substance painter 2 for the texture
The SuperPNG plugin for photoshop to make the alpha channel actually save but thats more advanced stuff for later

If you make a model and don't do any Unwrapping it will be very messy and will be overlapping but not neatly like the 4 part since they are all the same size and direction
It all comes down to what you want the model to do, if you need it to be a precise texture then you will have to learn how to do a UV like the bottom one
Otherwise if you're happy with a repeating simple texture then a box map will do
Google and YouTube will help with the UV parts

Ill check those files out tomorrow

ESKARN'S TUTORIALS

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:21 pm
Rank 6
Rank 6

Thanks for the help :)

I will leave you alone for now and do some of my own research. You gave me enough pieces to put me in the right direction.
*crosses fingers* Maybe my next post will be a few pieces of clothing, with both repeating and non repeating textures.

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:28 pm
Rank 17
Rank 17

no problem, heres a quick example on how the uv's can be done (not the best but it will do)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xuwpazprstppuq6/new%20cloth.ma?dl=0

ESKARN'S TUTORIALS

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:32 am
Rank 6
Rank 6

The file you sent is a good example, and I imagine you did that with the other program you mentioned? I created one myself (with plenty of overlap, so no precise texturing, I understand it enough now to do that though when I get that far) that uses the the whole square and reuses the texture for each UV. But the seams are invisible by sewing the connecting edges together and aligning them. Like you mentioned, the only problematic seam is now in the front, to be hidden by the buttons. so I feel much more comfortable in my understanding of UV Unwrapping, and creating a new map. I did this and assigned a texture for testing (actually a shower curtain texture from the assets I copied over, lol. but it looked pretty good actually)

anyway, I then duplicated the bind mesh, renamed for render mesh and positioned it over the bodyTemplate after removing the other render mesh. I attempt to use filemaker, and I get issues. The error is always the same (image attached) but the referenced line number changes to a new resource once I remove what it complains about (mostly textures though if that helps at all).

Since the textures it was complaining about weren't being used (at least not for this test), I had no issue continuing to remove them. But now it is complaining about the zipper. If I remove that, filemaker will complain that it doesnt exist, so im stuck. No idea why this started happening, but it did start after I copied the curtain texture over, renamed it and set it as a material in hypershade. Then I assigned that material to the dress I am working on. There may have been other things I did that broke it, I just dont remember all the things that I did.

However, assigning a different material to the dress, and even removing the material I created doesnt fix the issue. it remains and I cant figure out how to fix it. Wondering if anyone has seen this before and how it can be fixed.

I may just have to re-create the whole thing to see if it happens again. At least I mostly know what I am doing now (at least as far as what I have done up to this point)
maybe Ill start with the texture and worry about all the dress re-shaping til I figure things out more. The curtain texture is tileable so I wont have to change the UV map to get it working well enough.

*Note: You have gone very far into helping me understand all of this, and it is appreciated. As soon as I get up to speed, You will have all the clothing you need for your stories. Least I can do for all the help.

Edit: it would help if I attached the image... lol :P

Attachment:
temp.PNG
temp.PNG [ 67.69 KiB | Viewed 17138 times ]

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:33 am
Rank 6
Rank 6

and with the fresh body.ma file, and nothing but the new texture, I get this (Image attached).

with the original texture it looks fine, with the new one it doesnt. all settings are the same between the two materials in hypershade.
I am determined to get this down. 3d modeling is something I have always wanted to be good at. This game just gave me a reason to get started. but the stuff it is throwing at me... lol. wow..

Attachment:
saiko_newDress.jpg
saiko_newDress.jpg [ 77.63 KiB | Viewed 17137 times ]

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next