View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 unity or unreal engine? 
Rank 15
Rank 15

I have a game in my to do list.

The base idea is a sim like erotic game, mostly based on A I. The player will have a god like intervention, or similar to Artificial Academy.

I am just a designer and lazy slow learning programmer (licenced coder moved to graphics too long ago) . The 3d gaming software I got the farthest was Darkbasic.

What do you think is easier to learn to start this project and why? Unreal or Unity? I dont care of graphics, but easier coding.

(ps: looking for teammates in the future)

Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:40 pm
Rank 15
Rank 15

Honestly, noone tried a game engine?

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:51 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

Unity has a great community with lots of libraries that can - at a cost - make things easier. It also lets you write code in javascript, C#, or its own javascript-like language.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:27 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

I'm currently "learning" unity.
Some concepts are obscure and involve black magic, which I don't like.
I like to know what I do, and how it works.

But, the fact is it seems to work well, you can do many things with "minimum" code,
all the IDE black magic can be written by hand. So there seems to be no IDE only feature, you could write a full game with code only.

Unity works only with "levels", this is disturbing since there's no global code. only level code, and when you load a level, you lose 'everything' previously loaded.
so you have to start your game with a "Global controller" (sound, GUI, Inputs...), and make it persistent with "DontDestroyOnLoad".

some unity games work well, some others not. Probably the good way and the bad way of creating a game with unity engine...

So far, I can't tell much more, since I'm just watching tutorials again and again.
Unity seems good, but you have to understand HOW it works because it's not always obvious (at least for me)

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:46 am
Rank 1
Rank 1

I use Unity3D since 2013 and like all the engines out there , you have to learn how to use them of course.
My experience so far is that unity is a great tool for hobby game designer like me but not for big projects involving massive amounts of scripts.
I usually do Visual novel like games because it is much easier than fps or any other fancy things ^.^

IF you want to some smal examples what a *unexperienced hobby* programmer can do with unity here are two of my games:

Please have mercy with my english spelling + grammar.. This isn't my nativ language!

1. A Tech erotic demo with DAZ 3D chars

Some details about the technical aspects :
- unpacked size : ~ 1 GB
- packed size : ~350 Mb
- ~ 600 VN frames (sentences)
- used Unity 3D game engine
- runs on my PC (I2600k,16GbRam,GTX 680) with about 100 fps in full HD (NO SSAA) 60-70fps (with SSAA)
- grammar and Spelling errors all over the place.. not a native in this language :(

Known bugs :
- SSAA cost performance.. srsly.. (not realyl bug but i better mention this)
- the higher you set the SSAA value the smaller the GUI will become.
- I think the breasts from Lisette are a bit too bouncy.

DOWNLOAD LINK : https://mega.nz/#!QV1RnKrL!6NR8kTlfphaFEA8GavFwGmmZlsHlxjAitUB42x8ojs8

2. A Fetisch erotic demo with monstergirls (MMD chars) .

Story Frames : ~2200
Size: ~ 900 Mb (Raw)

Controls :
W-A-S-D : As usual
Spacebar : jump
E - use
Left shift - run

F1 - Toggle help screen & questtext
F2 - Toggle auto text
F3 - Open spellcheck window
ESC - Open menu
You have now 4 quicksave slots and 4 regular save slots
F5 - F8 - Quicksave
F9 - F12 - Quickload

DOWNLOAD LINK : https://mega.co.nz/#!wYckmZbK!sx3DGRft1O6vID_-Zfc4Kllns-jFUPEMJKdkXSx1kW0

MY website (for those who want to know) : http://3dnovels.de (warning ! written in flash since i am not good in PHP,CSS,HTML script)

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:59 pm
Rank 15
Rank 15

Thanks guys and great work, Xordus.

So noone was into unreal? Hmm I also havent seen many indie games in unreal3d. I remember only Submerged.
I a ma bit worried the first time I saw unity games they seemed to consume a hell of resources. This until I played The forest and Stranded deep which seem very ballanced.

I think I would go to Unity3d but I would really love a unreal user oppinion.

If it seems complicated for me I had in mind to go back to Darkbasic but I think it lacks in the new 3d technology.

Btw Unity versus Unreal is Dreamfall chapters versus Life is strange.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:20 pm
Rank 7
Rank 7

One thing Unity certainly is good for are the plugins. You can find plugins for a wide variety of things.

For example, Fungus is a free plugin that allows you to make simple Visual Novels and the like without any programming knowledge. Similarly, Adventure Creator is a paid plugin that allows you to make more advanced TellTale style adventure games, again without any programming knowledge. Then you have Universal Fighting Engine, a paid plugin that allows you to make fighting games...again, without any required programming knowledge.

Seriously, it's worth having a look at Unity's asset store and seeing what stuffs available on there.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:27 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

I think that Kalyskah: Vicious Seed uses unreal engine. You should ask to its developper.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3800

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:29 pm
Rank 10
Rank 10

If you are looking for free there is always Blender Game Engine. Supposedly it has a steep learning curve but it does allow immediate use of 3d assets and animations made in Blender. No importing/exporting. Many of the games made in the engine look lack luster, but that seems to be more due to with the skill level of the people using it. There are a good deal of tutorials online for it.

Couple it with Makehuman and you have a character creation as well, that is easily exported into Blender.

I wouldn't say BGE is on the level with Unity or Unreal, but it is free, so you can do what you want with your finished product without spending a dime.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:30 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

unity is free too (until you are making 100k$ annual income). the pro version has some (few more) features, not really required to make a game.
unreal engine, I don't know...

Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next