View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Jus Sanguinis (Adult 2D RPG) 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Hey!

I'm an artist by trade (not strictly speaking, since I work retail), but I'm trying my hand at making a 2D video game. I have a guy programming for me, so that part is covered, and I can write a little here and there.

LATEST PUBLIC DEMO: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ja1od ... Demo_3.exe / http://www.mediafire.com/download/1prm4 ... Demo_3.jar

Controls:
W/Up -> Walk North
S/Down -> Walk South
A/Left -> Walk West
D/Right -> Walk East
Space -> Attack / Struggle / Get Up
Q -> Block
E -> Activate object
R -> Pick up item
I -> Inventory

The game world itself is going to be on a grid like the 2D Zelda games for Gameboy (you walk on the grid right now, but that may change to free-walking like those Zelda games), and the gameplay will all be live action (not turn-based).

You play Shara, the girl on the left, as she levels up her skills and gets better equipment, makes a name for herself, and battles through the main quest line. I want the game to be pretty open-world, where you can free-roam and take on various quests, and I'm making it so that the different stories going on during the game are all happening on their own time rather than waiting for you.

Here's what Shara looks like in the game at this point:

ImageImageImage

I played a few games where your choices drastically alter the way that the quests develop and even impact the game world, and that's what I'm going for more than anything.

The game is going to be free for anyone to play, available for download on my blog. The game's playable right now, but I'm trying to get a few more things done so I can get a rough version uploaded in the next couple weeks :D

http://jsthegame.blogspot.ca/

If you have any questions or suggestions, I'm all ears!

Last edited by BenLawrence on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:33 am
Rank 14
Rank 14

Okay not sure how to say this but I don't really find the art style attractive. I like the idea and I encourage you to do your best because I'm sure many people will enjoy it. If you were to add options to change the proportions of the characters I'd be more interested but don't put yourself out just for me. Do what makes you happy and you will enjoy the work more. Don't cater to anyone especially not me just make your vision come true. I'm very much of the opinion that there is room for all tastes and styles.

Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:30 pm
Rank 4
Rank 4

Gamesman wrote:
Okay not sure how to say this but I don't really find the art style attractive. I like the idea and I encourage you to do your best because I'm sure many people will enjoy it. If you were to add options to change the proportions of the characters I'd be more interested but don't put yourself out just for me. Do what makes you happy and you will enjoy the work more. Don't cater to anyone especially not me just make your vision come true. I'm very much of the opinion that there is room for all tastes and styles.

That sucks, but I like your honesty. I don't expect everyone to like my art, and I know that not everyone does, but I really meant it when I said that I'm looking for input.

Even if I don't end up making any changes, I'd really like to know what you think of the style in more detail. I definitely won't re-design the game around a single person's preferences, but the more I know, the more I can make sure that I'm doing the best I can :D

Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:42 pm
Rank 15
Rank 15

What types of features are you hoping to add? From the picture you uploaded, I almost get the feel of a rpg/survival. The rocks and the log give me the impression of resources. Though I could be drawing too much from this, since I love those games a great deal. And the idea of open world and changing out equipment attracts my attention.

As for the art style. I like the rough cuts you posted. Once they've smoothed out a bit, I think they'd be quite lovely. The character is cute. With respect to Gamesman, I actually like the art style so far. I'm interested in how well you'll do on a top down Adult RPG. I can't actually recall many. Not in English anyway.

There's not much else I can comment on yet, but I'll be checking in on your project. You, sir, have my interest.

Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:51 pm
Rank 12
Rank 12

Hi Ben! Nice to see you here, too. :)
Keep up your work!

Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:28 pm
Rank 4
Rank 4

Thanks. guys. I always like words of encouragement :D

Malachai wrote:
What types of features are you hoping to add? From the picture you uploaded, I almost get the feel of a rpg/survival. The rocks and the log give me the impression of resources. Though I could be drawing too much from this, since I love those games a great deal. And the idea of open world and changing out equipment attracts my attention.

I'm not sure if I'll capture the true 'survival' feel 100%, but resources are definitely something I love in a game. At the very least, Shara will be gathering ingredients for alchemy, forging, and other crafting. I'd like to develop a system that's somewhat similar to the ones that Bethesda uses, but maybe with more variety (modded Elder Scrolls games are a personal favourite). I want lots of armours, lots of weapons, different attacks (slash/stab/chop), interesting magic spells, and a use-based skill leveling system.

As for top-down games, I'm drawing a lot of inspiration from A Link to the Past, various Final Fantasy games, Ultima, and Violated Heroine (speaking of non-English). If you like those games, then you'll probably like what I'm planning for Jus Sanguinis.

As for adult features, I think there's a lot of interest in monsters/interspecies, impregnation, pregnancy, and transformation (all of which I see way too rarely in games) so those will be a big focus of the adult content.

Also, if there's a particular feature that you want to see in the game, let me know. I'm always open to suggestions :)

Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:07 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

Well to be honest I am reluctant to critique art (which is what you are doing don't let anyone tell you different) because as you say i'm one person and my preferences are no more important then the next guy's. If I had to be specific I would say I don't find generously proportioned women attractive. Perhaps I'm a product of my environment or media maybe it reminds me too much of my mother who was heavy or maybe I find fitness more attractive. None of that really matters. If you are making an adult game that the main character is unattractive to me it won't be something I will find that enjoyable. Nevertheless please DON"T cater to me if it's not your style. There are plenty of people who enjoy those body-types and you should do what makes YOU happy.

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:10 pm
Rank 4
Rank 4

Gamesman wrote:
Well to be honest I am reluctant to critique art (which is what you are doing don't let anyone tell you different) because as you say i'm one person and my preferences are no more important then the next guy's.

I appreciate your humility, but each opinion does still matter to me, even if each one only matters as much as any one other :)

Gamesman wrote:
If I had to be specific I would say I don't find generously proportioned women attractive.

This is really helpful to know :D I wasn't sure what you meant, but knowing that it's mostly a matter of body shape (rather than something more fundamental about the art style or body ratios) is actually good to hear. I probably won't change Shara or Diona's basic body proportions, but I am planning to have other playable characters in the game (eventually) and I'll make sure to that they (and the rest of the people in the game) have a nice broad range of body shapes and sizes.

It may not change whether or not you're interested in the game, but I think that getting lots of input and taking each person's preferences into account will make the game better and more appealing overall. So thank you :)

Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:04 pm
Rank 4
Rank 4

I posted a bunch of new stuff on the blog, for anyone who wants to check it out :)

Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:06 am
Rank 4
Rank 4

I updated the demo, so it's a lot nicer than it was a couple weeks ago. It'll keep getting better (it's already a lot better than the new demo) as I work on it, but you can check out the changes I made so far XD

Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next