View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Vote here! 

What hardware devices would you like to be supported in XStoryPlayer? (max 2 options)
I own a Oculus Rift and want it supported 17%  17%  [ 65 ]
I would buy a Oculus Rift and want it supported 32%  32%  [ 119 ]
I own the Kinect and want it supported 4%  4%  [ 16 ]
I would buy the Kinect and want it supported 4%  4%  [ 14 ]
I own a Leap Motion and want it supported 3%  3%  [ 12 ]
I would buy a Leap Motion and want it supported 5%  5%  [ 17 ]
I own a Razer Hydra and want it supported 4%  4%  [ 14 ]
I would buy a Razer Hydra and want it supported 2%  2%  [ 8 ]
I own a VStroker and want it supported 4%  4%  [ 16 ]
I would buy a VStroker and want it supported 9%  9%  [ 32 ]
I would like another hardware device supported... 6%  6%  [ 23 ]
I do not want hardware devices supported 10%  10%  [ 38 ]
Total votes : 374

Vote here! 
Site Admin
Site Admin

@Glepnis

I agree. The Oculus Rift (while having its imperfections) does bring a completely new feeling to playing games.
I find it most present when standing close to characters in the game and them having react your presence.
That's why AI is getting even more important with the Oculus Rift than before, I think.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:56 pm
Rank 6
Rank 6

Absolutely. While the NPC itself is impressive with the Rift it takes on a whole different feeling when the character follows your gaze. The Illusion demos, while tame, give a fantastic feeling.

Pledged. You're at 75%. So excited to see what you do with these funds.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:12 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Super Glepnis!

Thank you very much!

:) :)

Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:14 pm
Rank 1
Rank 1

I'm going to jump in and say a thing or two for the Leap.

I find its quite the fun little tool and can bring a fun new element to the gameplay. I have no really problem with classic KB&M control, if your trying to go for a high realism and/or immersive gaming, I think this is the best way to go (in addition to the OR).
Take for example cleaning up the Gym or the Photo shoot scenes. Not the most exciting of things to do but necessary to build up the expectations and effort/reward payoff. These types of scenes help keep the player more engaged when experienced through the Leap. It feels more natural than the KB. Keeping the tedium as low as possible with immersion as high as possible is the key and the OR+Leap I think is the ideal combo right now.

The only problem I have with it is the lack of tactility/feedback. While the above scenes benefit from the Leap, I think the touching parts would be a bit lackluster without any feeling. It wouldn't be any worse that with a KB&M but I wouldn't expect it to add much to the experience. Alas, this isn't something that be resolved with any of the current tech and so its not worth worrying about.

My biggest concern at the moment would be the lack of content at this point in time and I would rather see some more of it before adding in device support. (I may have something to say on this in a more appropriate forum section). But since you guys are taking the time to update the engine and mechs before the next update, I would agree now is the time to get these
sorted out. Hopefully we'll end up in a position we are all comfortable with, sooner rather than later.

That's my 2 cents anyway, thank for reading and I hope I could be of some addition to the discussion

-Spook0_0

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:05 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

@Spook2099

Agreed, the Leap Motion is a nice compact piece of hardware. It could certainly add to immersion/feedback, especially when using the OR.

The range is somewhat limited. If it was just 30 or 40 cm more, that would improve things a lot. But using your hands to touch a girl would be great.

After we have released next version, we will definitely add some hand tracking hardware support. But for now, we are focusing on completing a new version, which proves to be a lot of work already.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:15 pm
Rank 8
Rank 8

Picked "I do not want hardware devices supported". As time spent developing is limited (even more so with a small team) I feel like support for such accessories would take away from something else. Later, when more of the device-independent gameplay is done? Sure.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:58 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

I would have to agree, these devices are not exactly ready for the public... so support for them should be put on the backburner. There is no denying though that they are amazing devices with a bright future.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:29 am
Rank 2
Rank 2

There is an augmented reality headset, the castAR from technical illusions. Its prototypes are working quite well. Its kickstarter already has passed funding minimum.

The castAR software sdk has Unity integration. IDK if xstory player is compatable with that.

Also of interest is that they are also making a magic wand (vr controller like the razor hydra), clip on lenses that would allow true AR AND VR with out the current reflective screen they are using with the prototypes, and a rfid grid for miniture gaming.

It looks like they will be putting out production glasses September 2014.
It'll be a year, but being able to view the models in 3D, in Augmented Reality, would be really taking it up a notch. :idea:

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:47 am
Rank 3
Rank 3

Any plans to support the STEM system? Based on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkOLswJlTBs it'd be really cool to combine this with the Oculus Rift (and a fleshlight!) Imagine having full body control in VR in XStoryPlayer...

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:42 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

The STEM system looks really precise in its tracking, but I don't think many users have/will buy this system.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next