View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 An alternative to Autodesk? 
Rank 17
Rank 17

Whenever modding is discussed, the application mentioned as being needed the most is Maya Autodesk. So I looked it up, and this was the first thing I noticed.

Attachment:
autodesk.png
autodesk.png [ 17.32 KiB | Viewed 18802 times ]

Holy crap, that is expensive. So naturally I was wondering if there could be an alternative to using Autodesk?

Or are we going to end up in a situation where that one guy who actually owns Autodesk and keeps getting stuff made in Blender from 20 different people so it can be made XSP compatible?

HOW TO START MODDING

Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:56 am
Rank 9
Rank 9

Frankly speaking, Autodesk wont care if you download it. Their licenses covers distributions of the content you make, if you make money out of it, then you need to pay. But if you just use 3Ds Max for example hobby or non-selling models they wont care, infact Autodesk gains allot if they allow people to pirate it so that more and more people can learn their software making it the most used on the market.
That is why they wont pursuit people in court for downloading any of their products, only of they noticed that their software was used in a products that earns money.

Get my meaning? ;)

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:10 am
Rank 7
Rank 7

That, and you can totally get free student/educational versions from Autodesk themselves without pirating. I'm not sure if you have to be associated with a Uni or not, but it's worth looking into if you're just looking for something to use for hobbyist work.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:20 pm
Rank 8
Rank 8

Also, blender got export function to autodesk fbx, among other formats. Perhaps we're lucky and it is compatible oob?

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:32 pm
Rank 3
Rank 3

meem wrote:
You have to check really carefully though if you use annual paying for things like that.
For example: Office 356. As long as you pay your annual payment, all is fine. But when you decide to stop, then you can open the documents and so on made with Office 356 just fine. But (of course) you can not alter and safe them any more, making Office 356 a kind of ransomware.
In my opinion these kind of annual payment things are fine when you have a short project of some kind. But when you want to use it long term, then buying is of course the best option.
Or indeed just a download (which of course is very very very very wrong :P )

It's not really ransomware. It's SaaS- software as a service. Same as if rent a car and stop paying the rental price, you can no longer drive it. The car is provided to you as a service.

Often, it makes more financial sense to purchase a subscription like this. You have to calculate how many years you would be paying for the service before you have paid as much as an outright purchase, and consider when you would expect to upgrade had you made an outright purchase. Then you have to consider the time value of money, and there's an unknown cost for the ability to switch products with smaller reinvestment if you need to.

But as for Autodesk... yes free educational use is great. I signed up for it very easily... then again I am also legitimately entitled to an edu license.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:07 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

It was already mentioned, but Autodesk offers a 1-month trial license.

We will add other import options as well in the future. But for now it is only Maya Autodesk.

Users will be able to edit all scenes in Maya, and also create new scenes very easily in it.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:46 pm
Rank 15
Rank 15

xpadmin wrote:
Users will be able to edit all scenes in Maya, and also cerate new scenes very easily in it.

xpadmin wrote:
and also cerate new scenes very easily in it.

xpadmin wrote:
cerate new scenes.

YES. VERY MUCH YES. Aside from the typo. :D

Not that you all aren't doing a terrific job. However, if I felt like I wanted some action going on in a TARDIS or an amusement park, I could very well do that as long as I have some decent skill in Maya.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]