View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Eskarn's Room: Modding Tutorials 
Rank 15
Rank 15

I am following the tutorial to create a custom scene. Some points I want to add.

I am using 3dsMax 2010 and Maya 2009. Some settings can be specific to these versions.

A. Easier Max scene setup: (update for http://wiki.xmoonproductions.org/index. ... _the_scene - bottom of the page)

Maya units are seen as metters in XSP3 (1 Unit = 1m). Obj export will be in units so 3dsMax unit scale need to be set the same.

- set display units as centimeters, meters, inches, whichever you like to use (Customize->Unit Setup).
- set system unit scale 1 unit = 1m (your obj export size/scale doesn't need to be set, it will be 1)
- use the scene as template to merge/import.

If you open an older document you will surely receive an "Unit Mismatch" error. Pick the correct option that reads "1 Unit = 1.0000 Meters" so you don't have to set up the above again. Then verify if the models are at real size: simply create a box at desired size, center and scale the model to fit the box.

Note: if you want to create a new model sometimes is better that you start with a different scale (1 Unit = 1 or 10cm). After you finish, change the system unit setup and scale the model down to 1% respectively 10%. This is because 3dsMax doesn't work well with small objects (best seen when you try to create a new box and it disapears if made too small).

B. Exporting Obj (update for http://wiki.xmoonproductions.org/index. ... ng_Obj%27s)

3dsMax 2010 has an import/export plugin called gw:obj exporter. It has a Maya preset.
To export a scene as .obj (optional steps below are to remove the 3dsMax Material settings):
- Activate "Maya" preset once. It remains saved.
- (optional) For single material objects (and colliders) uncheck "Export Materials"
- (optional) Uncheck "Create Material Library" - the material settings will not be exported to a .mtl file. Alternatively just delete the .mtl file before import the .obj to Maya.

Prepare the obj to export. Attach the poly objects you want to join in standalone shapes (do not attach collider objects :p ).

I don't recomment grouping objects in 3dsMax. I think my current settings ignores them when imported but this can mess with the shape names like box_Box01Shape or maybe group1:box01Shape (this issue happened to me as well http://wiki.xmoonproductions.org/index. ... _the_scene). This may happen when there are more than one group in the scene. If you really need your groups then select each, Ungroup - Export selection - Group again (or UNDO).

Maya 2009 will keep the original object names and add "Shape" to their shape names.

C. If you make standalone objects, keep in mind 4 important steps you may not miss:

1) Obj importer seems to ignore the normals, turning into Hard Edges. For curved shapes:
- select your shapes
- hold SPACE and select Normals->Soften Edge
This is equivalent to Autosmooth 45 in 3dsMax.

2) Set up the shadow casting ingame (this is explained better in the tutorial http://wiki.xmoonproductions.org/index. ... d_lighting)
- Select object, CTRL+A -> you see a few pages appearing in the right tab. Look for RENDER STATS in the second page (Shape) and UNCHECK Casts Shadows and Receive Shadows

3) The game may ignore Maya transformations. If you rotate/scale an object you need to lock the changes before saving the .ma file. Select the object and go to menu: Modify->Freeze Transformations. This operation is good for rescaling a shape but be careful: it sets the pivot point to the scene origin. Before freezing you may need to move the shape to the scene origin.

4) An important step when you intend to texture your model:

A project workspace helps you keep all the files in the same place, using relative paths. Set it up right from the start and you will not have missing files issues later with filemaker.

Let's keep the same structure as the tutorial files. I created a folder MyXSP\Sources\scenes\ where I have 2 subfolders:
- object_template
- textures

Pick File->SAVE AS...
Press the "Set Project..." button. Pick up folder "sources".
Then save the file in the object_template folder.
In Maya in Material Attributes pick up the maps from "textures" folder.

Last edited by loki on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:42 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

Thanks for that i will add these in when i rewrite them for 3.5

ESKARN'S TUTORIALS

Eskarn's Dungeon Mod(BETA)

Eskarn's puzzle map (story)

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:49 am
Rank 15
Rank 15

Thanks, feel free to add anything you find useful. As I am working I will continue to update my post above because some things are not fully tested. Note in point A. for example: I found out later today why you didn't use the exact unit scale: max acts weird with small items (I think only creating primitives and some accuracy in modelling seem to have little issues). Also C.3) is only for standalone props scale and rotate, I am not sure if it is good for translate and I haven't finished a scene yet to test that. I want to look into 3.5 to learn how to make old things work.

Maybe I will make a separate specific tutorial, for example "Quick Maya lessons for 3ds Max users". Because I got minimum Maya knowledge :) I can present easy steps into import - adjust - materials and texturing - save.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:37 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

loki wrote:
Note in point A. for example: I found out later today why you didn't use the exact unit scale: max acts weird with small items

im exporting obj's from max at 0.09 scale right now, Don't remember the units i'm using tho but it just works.
loki wrote:
Maybe I will make a separate specific tutorial, for example "Quick Maya lessons for 3ds Max users". Because I got minimum Maya knowledge :) I can present easy steps into import - adjust - materials and texturing - save.

Never touched Maya until i started modding this.

ESKARN'S TUTORIALS

Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:57 am
Rank 15
Rank 15

Eskarn wrote:
im exporting obj's from max at 0.09 scale right now, Don't remember the units i'm using tho but it just works.

I tested and scaled by eyeballing using random values until I discovered the simplicity: the unit in 3dsMax is equal to the unit in Maya and equal to 1m in the game. But to make modelling easier in 3dsMax you can set the system units as 1 unit = 10 cm and export at 0.1 size.

If you rather use the generic units, you can measure the item and do some quick math.
Let's say you have an item that is 10 height. Regardless the system units, its real size is always 10m.
If you want to have it 10 cm height in game, export it at 0.01 (10m/100=10cm so export at 1/100=0.01).

Eskarn wrote:
Never touched Maya until i started modding this.

I haven't either until I found XSP :D I'm using Maya 2009 because it has a more simpler interface than the recent versions.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:53 pm
Rank 18
Rank 18

@eskarn could you make a animation tutorial? :D

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:49 pm
Rank 17
Rank 17

tomahawk308 wrote:
@eskarn could you make a animation tutorial? :D

I plan on adding some animations to this story so once i figure it out i will

ESKARN'S TUTORIALS

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:47 pm
Rank 18
Rank 18

@eskarn nice :D

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:00 pm
Rank 17
Rank 17

Added Eskarn's Reaction System Template(Version 3.5)

This is a basic template designed to be integrated into story's or dungeons

ESKARN'S TUTORIALS

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:42 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

Added tutorial for getting new characters into the game

It is missing how to do skin colliders but that will be added in when i know how other then that the character will be in the game
(still need to do how to get them into story's but ill do that later once someone has one they want to use)

Enjoy

ESKARN'S TUTORIALS

Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next