View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 about texturing 
Rank 16
Rank 16

Hi,
this is a kind of request, but I didn't know if I'll post here, or in the feature request thread..
(It's here for now because in my opinion, it's more about modding than game features.)

What I've seen when trying to change clothes textures :
- use multiple textures for clothes (and maybe others objects) .
- in game textures are quite poor

To make nice mods, we "need" :
- only one texture per object, we can use different parts of the texture for different parts of the object (eg: body_all_png.dds is perfect)
(or implement a way to change each texture of an object, eg: monica dress has many different texture files : main dress, collar, cuff, belt ... )
- better sized textures. eg: 256x256 for monica dress is to small )
- don't repeat texture (at least on clothes), so we can customize each part of cloth objects (eg: gradient color from top to bottom).
- standardized bumpmapping texture files : same name as the texture file applied (with b or bump like you did with "cloth01_jpg"/cloth01_bump.jpg" or "cloth_stripe3_jpg.dds/cloth_stripe3b.jpg"
OR add option to manual set bumpmapping texture.
skip bumpmapping if file not found (or not specified) but don't use the default one like how it's done actually.

this was the part for clothes.

Body modifications is also a big part of texture mods.

I didn't find a way to change eye textures. We should be able to do it.
Also, eyes should be multitextured, one for the white part of the eye, one for the iris. so we could set up color "sliders" to change only iris color without altering the white part.
("best of the top of the most" option could be a third texture layer, to apply a fake shining effect, manga style)

makeup is also fun to change, currently we can't apply a lipstick color without changing the entire body texture. idem for eyelid fard.
If "I" want to propose 4 lipstick colors and 4 eyelid colors, I have to create 16 different textures. and if I want 3 different tanlines (or tatoos),
this mean 48 body textures because makeup is a part of body. Or if someone create a nice makeup, we can't use it if we have custom bodies

I'll stop for now.
I know you didn't intend to make a "sandbox girl" game at first, but I think that introducing modding implies some modifications to character customisation.

ps: english is not my native language, sorry.

Last edited by laissemoirire on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:50 pm
Rank 10
Rank 10

I dont know much about texturing, but regarding the eyes - did you see the files like "eye_diffuse_brown_jpg.dds", or ''eye_diffuse_grey_jpg.dds" in scenes/textures/character# ?
Wouldn't replacing those work?

Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:59 am
Rank 6
Rank 6

Roggvir wrote:
I dont know much about texturing, but regarding the eyes - did you see the files like "eye_diffuse_brown_jpg.dds", or ''eye_diffuse_grey_jpg.dds" in scenes/textures/character# ?

Yes, those two files are eye texture for Saiko and Monica. I played with those textures some time ago http://www.xmoonproductions.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3467&start=70#p10430

laissemoirire wrote:
- in game textures are quite poor

You're right, I think that 2048*2048 resolution for a whole body parts texture is too low. I tried resizing textures to 4096*4096 and it works without scaling problem so we can use higher res textures.

@xpadmin: I know original texture of Saiko and Monica's models was 8192*8192, would you mind sharing them so we can use them as a base to make highres variations of body skin?

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:53 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

Roggvir wrote:

indeed, I saw them.

But with the current way of (half)modding this game, we can't ADD texture eyes.

We have other games where you HAVE to replace textures. so ok, we HAVE to do it.
Here, we have the option to specify some textures, for example clothes or body.
So we can have an option menu to change cloth /body, but we can't chose eyes texture.

for example in saiko party, you have 2 monica (I read), we can't mod one with blue eyes,
the other with green, they use the same texture, so if we change the file, we get both girls
with same eyes...

Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:35 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

Aoris wrote:
You're right, I think that 2048*2048 resolution for a whole body parts texture is too low. I tried resizing textures to 4096*4096 and it works without scaling problem so we can use higher res textures.

2048x2048 is not fantastic but it's quite decent. monica dress texture is 256*256 T_T :D

Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:38 pm
Rank 6
Rank 6

J'avais pas vu que tu es français. Donc comme je disais, la texture de peau des modèles est à l'origine en 8192*8192, surement compressée en 2048*2048 par les devs pour ne pas trop charger mémoire. Ceci dit, si tu redimenssionne cette texture en 4096*4096 par exemple, la texture s'ajuste au modèle sans aucun souci.

J'ai remplacé des textures de décor par d'autres de résolution supérieure et il n'y a aucun problème graphique non plus. Je n'ai pas essayé avec les vêtements mais je pense que ça doit passer aussi.

Edit: j'ai essayé avec une texture de 512*1024. ça marche sans problème

Attachments:
Sans titre.png
Sans titre.png [ 915.55 KiB | Viewed 16176 times ]

Last edited by Aoris on Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:23 pm
Rank 10
Rank 10

laissemoirire wrote:
Roggvir wrote:

indeed, I saw them.

But with the current way of (half)modding this game, we can't ADD texture eyes.

We have other games where you HAVE to replace textures. so ok, we HAVE to do it.
Here, we have the option to specify some textures, for example clothes or body.
So we can have an option menu to change cloth /body, but we can't chose eyes texture.

for example in saiko party, you have 2 monica (I read), we can't mod one with blue eyes,
the other with green, they use the same texture, so if we change the file, we get both girls
with same eyes...
Ah, ok, i understand you point now, and i agree with it.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:32 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

Aoris wrote:
J'avais pas vu que tu es français. Donc comme je disais, la texture de peau des modèles est à l'origine en 8192*8192, surement compressée en 2048*2048 par les devs pour ne pas trop charger mémoire. Ceci dit, si tu redimenssionne cette texture en 4096*4096 par exemple, la texture s'ajuste au modèle sans aucun souci.

J'ai remplacé des textures de décor par d'autres de résolution supérieure et il n'y a aucun problème graphique non plus. Je n'ai pas essayé avec les vêtements mais je pense que ça doit passer aussi.

Edit: j'ai essayé avec une texture de 512*1024. ça marche sans problème

j'avais testé aussi effectivement ça passe, et c'est un bon point, ça permettra de faire des mods "high-res"
le problème que j'ai en ce moment, ce n'est pas tant la qualité des textures, mais surtout le mapping.
spécialement sur les habits, les textures sont répétées et pas mappées, et donc en gros je trouve qu'on peut rien faire de beau avec ça.

##########
for english users, sorry, I know you don't like when we don't speak english.
so here is a condensed translation :

Aoris sais that texture resolution can be changed, they are "auto-fitted" to models.
(good point, we can make "high-res" mods).

but I'm still "complaining" about the fact that cloth textures are note mapped to object. they repeat themselve, so we can't make nice outfits.

#############
some examples :

Attachments:
File comment: note that ALL parts now use the texture
screenshot4.jpg
screenshot4.jpg [ 169.16 KiB | Viewed 16061 times ]
screenshot7.jpg
screenshot7.jpg [ 287.4 KiB | Viewed 16061 times ]
Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:56 pm
Rank 6
Rank 6

Pour le mapping j'avais remarqué ça avec les texture de décor et c'est probablement pour ça qu'on peut utiliser n'importe quelle résolution.
Autre truc gênant, pour la robe de saiko, apparement les boutons et le col sont juste colorés et pas texturés. Ca m'a l'air mal barré côté modding

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:35 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I understand it is hard to change the textures now. Please hold on for a little while.
Once the wiki grows the "creating cloth" part will be added and also the model can be edited better.

Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next