View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Mod Management - a discussion 
Rank 16
Rank 16

Well, now that we've seen the format of mods, we can have a real discussion on a universal mod management system (to make life easier for each other and our users). The most important detail is that the code doesn't need to be compiled for the game to load it. This means we can use any of the revision control systems commonly used in coding projects. The ones I'm familiar with are GitHub, SVN, CVS, and RCS. Personally, I prefer GitHub for a number of reasons, though there are other free Git hosts. There's a breakdown of many different systems at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software.

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:51 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

I agree, A simple outer file structure and module that can read it and communicate the information to the engine would be ideal. Personally I work best with a good Poser library setup for models. everything has it's place.

Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:02 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

Well, since the engine reads the files as is without any extra work from the user (an ideal modding environment) there's no limit to what we can use, provided it also handles binary files. (Most do this.) There's many, many options. I push for GitHub because of its popularity and ease of use, both in development and for the end user. Distribution is as simple as giving a link to the repository, which the user can access via the Windows client - just drag the link to the client and there you go. They can either have it download straight to their /pack folder, or someplace else and move it in.

Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]