View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 3D Modeling Expert 
Rank 12
Rank 12

Yeah, I have no real knowledge in animation or modelling etc etc, but it would be awesome if you could stay and possibly fulfill the community's wishes :) We are a great community :D

Last edited by thepayne on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:46 am
Rank 6
Rank 6

Yeah, it really seemed like we did a good job showing him how awesome of a community we are ;)

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:53 pm
Rank 12
Rank 12

Pokemonboy wrote:
Yeah, it really seemed like we did a good job showing him how awesome of a community we are ;)

Yeah... Humanity at its best :D

Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:22 pm
Rank 1
Rank 1

Sorry for not responding. Had a crazy few days at work and I haven't had a chance to log on...

Here are a few samples:

Ocarina (3D printed musical instruments project)

Hookah hose holder (I 3D printed this part and am using it right now)

Unfortunately, I can't share any of the parts I designed for work because they are proprietary designs, but I am quite experienced with clearances and tolerance determination for designs.

I am considering investing in Silo3D as well. It's a cheap package that works mostly using T-surfaces and is a more artistic software rather than an engineering design software package.

I also have a 3D printer, so if you guys have models you want printed, we can do that too.

Suggestions are welcome!

Best,
KW

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:03 pm
Rank 17
Rank 17

Um... I don't think the things we want to 3D print out of XStoryPlayer are the things that can possibly be 3D printed with today's current technology, but none the less, nice to know.

By the way, what is the state of 3D printing, can the printers still only produce rigid material objects, or can they now product objects that are flexible or elastic?

krimzonwolf wrote:
Hookah hose holder (I 3D printed this part and am using it right now)

I read that as "Hookah nose holder" and I was like "What? That's not shaped right at all."

HOW TO START MODDING

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:51 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

[quote="Pickled Cow"]
By the way, what is the state of 3D printing, can the printers still only produce rigid material objects, or can they now product objects that are flexible or elastic?/quote]

NASA has 3D printed rocket parts, and the Swedish hypercar company Koenigsegg has 3D printer titanium and carbon fiber.

Granted, the basic plastic ones are still $1000, but still, we can now print some cool stuff.

Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:12 am
Rank 17
Rank 17

TheMohawkNinja wrote:
Pickled Cow wrote:
By the way, what is the state of 3D printing, can the printers still only produce rigid material objects, or can they now product objects that are flexible or elastic?

NASA has 3D printed rocket parts, and the Swedish hypercar company Koenigsegg has 3D printer titanium and carbon fiber.

Granted, the basic plastic ones are still $1000, but still, we can now print some cool stuff.

I know that metallic material is being used in 3D printing but that still falls under rigid material for the most part.

But you ask your self though, "Why would I want to print flexible or elastic objects?"

HOW TO START MODDING

Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:16 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

Pickled Cow wrote:
TheMohawkNinja wrote:
Pickled Cow wrote:

I know that metallic material is being used in 3D printing but that still falls under rigid material for the most part.

But you ask your self though, "Why would I want to print flexible or elastic objects?"

Oh, you are asking specifically about flexible or elastic objects. Hmm... I can't say I've heard anything about that. I mean, if it doesn't need to be under more stress, you might be able to get away with printing thin parts with the current rigid plastic, but as for specifically flexible or elastic objects, I don't know.

Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:30 am
Rank 10
Rank 10

@Pickled Cow: http://www.giyf.com

It is posible to fill some 3d printers with a rubber-like material and print with it.
this flipper was 3d printed: http://www.stratasys.com/materials/poly ... rtrait.jpg

Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:09 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

krimzonwolf wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't share any of the parts I designed for work because they are proprietary designs, but I am quite experienced with clearances and tolerance determination for designs.

Is there a policy against naming the companies you've done 3D modeling for?

Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next