View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Handcuffs and Restraints 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Hi all,

I really like the game so far and I am looking forward to the next updates (and what is yet to come...)

I thought it would be nice to have some additional restraints available which can be used to tie the models, e.g. handcuffs, leather collars & leash, wristbands, etc. If you don't yet have such equipment in your "toolbox", I would be glad to assist in making it. I started with a very simple pair of handcuffs which I made in blender (see attached files):
Attachment:
File comment: Handcuffs (rendered)
cuff1.jpg
cuff1.jpg [ 19.89 KiB | Viewed 30438 times ]

I am not an expert in 3D modelling, so don't expect too much. I still did not find the right material properties settings for the steel impression, maybe someone else can help. But feel free to use the model if you like it!

Attachments:
File comment: Blender Handcuffs and Key
Hcuff07.zip [396.94 KiB]
Downloaded 1042 times
Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:38 am
Rank 3
Rank 3

Hi all,

here's another tool that might be fun to use on the girls: steel hand/foot shackles with lock

Attachment:
File comment: Shackles rendered image
shackles.jpg
shackles.jpg [ 17.02 KiB | Viewed 30300 times ]

The blender model file is attached below.

Attachments:
File comment: Shackles blender model
Shackles05.zip [168.79 KiB]
Downloaded 950 times
Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:58 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

looks good,

How many poly's are they?

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:42 am
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks.

Blender tells me the following:

handcuffs: 9,692 vertices - 9,946 faces - 19,312 triangles
shackles: 2,355 vertices - 2,698 faces - 4,720 triangles

Would this resolution be acceptable for the game? If the number of polygons are too many, can the number be reduced somehow?

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:29 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

Nice designs. My impression is that the polycounts on the chain section and key of the cuffs are too expensive.
A flatter key and chain links would help reduce this. There looks to be a lot of detail for something that won't be noticed unless the player it very close.
The bolts could also be done via a bumpmap rather then modelling the cylinders.

The shackles look pretty good as they are. I would opt for a hex nut at the top of the bolt and bevel rather then curve where the cuff sides over lap.
Also a square centre bolt. That area will be obscured when being worn. So its possible to lower the detail in those areas.
Just some constructive feedback. I do like the models :D

Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:31 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

The polycounts are a bit steep for game objects. By designing with lower poly basis and smoothing the normals good results with lower poly counts can be achieved.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:04 pm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Ok, thanks for the comments and replies.

I have checked different options in blender: I could use the "decimate" modifier to reduce the size of the meshes or start from scratch again using simpler geometric objects. What is the desired complexity of the models?

However, if you care to use the models in the game, wouldn't you rather make these modifications in the software that you use?

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:54 pm
Rank 14
Rank 14

Its not so easy to reduce the poly count of a model with a conversion. They often make mistakes and would very probably require manual adjustments.
Its best to try and keep the count as low as you can during the build. Also try and stick to four sided polys to improve collision. Upping the poly count is easier but not often needed when making assets for games.

In regards to xmoon fixing a model within the software they are using. Its a matter of time/work. If we, as a community can submit assets as close to finished as possibly its quicker for them to be added. They have a lot of work to do already without fixing objects we have made. Something I'm aware could have happened with my submissions.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:12 pm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Ok, you have convinced me. I have started from scratch and modeled another pair of shackles, this time taking care of a low polycount:
Attachment:
File comment: shackles again rendered
shackles.jpg
shackles.jpg [ 18.8 KiB | Viewed 29918 times ]

The blender file (see attachment) now has 480 vertices, 570 faces and 956 tris - hope that's ok!

I have not yet tried to work with textures (still have to find out how it is done). Maybe someone can help me with some instructions on how to get a rusty steel look...

Attachments:
File comment: shackles reduced complexity
Shackles03red.zip [93.84 KiB]
Downloaded 953 times
Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:37 pm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Here is a slight variation of the shackles (this time with hexagonal bolt at the end ;.))
Attachment:
File comment: Shackles Variation
shackles2.jpg
shackles2.jpg [ 28.81 KiB | Viewed 29915 times ]

Which one do you like better?

I will then start working on the handcuffs, sigh...

Attachments:
Shackles04red.zip [92.45 KiB]
Downloaded 955 times
Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next