View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 How do I shot webMs? 
Rank 17
Rank 17

I've noticed that so far, only 2 webMs that have appeared on 4chan's /gif/ section, have not been made by me. And I'm assuming those other 2 where made by the same guy. If anyone here is interested in making they're own webMs, here are some instructions.

First! Get Camstudio, a freeware app you can use to record video from your computer screen!
I personally suggest version 2.00, because version 2.7 will throw up a completely useless and pointless notification box that gets in the way if you try to use a keyboard shortcut.
Where you can download version 2.00, you want Camstudio2-0.exe.
The official CamStudio website for those interested.

Then, you need to set up CamStudio!
Attachment:
File comment: I spent more time on the text than I'm proud of...
camstudio video settings.png
camstudio video settings.png [ 220.04 KiB | Viewed 11940 times ]

(Note that bottom red text should say:DO NOT START A 2ND INSTANCE OF CAMSTUDIO IF THE SAME VERSION OF CAMSTUDIO IS ALREADY RUNNING!)

Next we need to set up a recording area!
If you can run XSP at fullscreen at the same size as your normal resolution and record at the same time, then you are good to go most likely.
NOTE THAT CAMSTUDIO WILL NOT RECORD RIGHT IF XSP IS CHANGING YOUR MONITOR'S RESOLUTION HOWEVER.
If you need to use a fixed region as your recording area, open your settings.ini file and refer to the next image.
Attachment:
File comment: DIRECTX? More like DIRECTSEX, am I right???
how to set up fixed region.png
how to set up fixed region.png [ 27.4 KiB | Viewed 11940 times ]

If you want the XSP window to be centered on your monitor, for these instructions.

YOUR MONITOR'S HORIZONTAL RESOLUTION minus DESIRED XSP WINDOW WIDTH divided by 2 equals XPOS
YOUR MONITOR'S VERTICAL RESOLUTION minus DESIRED XSP WINDOW HEIGHT divided by 2 equals YPOS

or

1920 minus 800 equals 1120, which divided by 2 equals 560
1080 minus 600 equals 480, which divided by 2 equals 240

Now, fire up XSP and try to record some test footage. Then, when you have some, try to make some test webMs!

Wait, you should probably download a webM converter first. Let me link you to the one I use!

WebM converter.
https://github.com/WebMBro/WebMConverter/releases

Once you got that installed, let's fire it up.
Attachment:
File comment: Due to how useful this software is, it gets a pass on the uncouth name.
insulting window display.png
insulting window display.png [ 25.97 KiB | Viewed 11940 times ]

Now let's run down these options.

Input file: This where the source video goes, you can drag and drop if you want.
Output file: This tells you where the webM will be saved, you can edit this if you want.

Basic/Advanced tabs Stay in Basic, Advanced is actually quite boring, because you have no idea what you are looking at.

Title:If there is a title you want associated you're about to make, this is where to put. I normally just erase what automatically gets put here because I have CamStudio set up so that it saves my recordings with time-stamp filenames.

Resolution: Nothing I can add here that the converter doesn't already tell you. But remember that reducing the resolution can increase how much footage you can cram under the fil size limit. But don't make it too small, you're not making webMs for ants.

Trim Video: You can use this to make it so that the video starts after the start and ends before the end of the source video. I prefer to enter the amount of seconds because despite the math involved, it's the easiest to type because I don't have used multiple forms of punctuation.

Crop size: I've yet to use crop on an XSP video because I never had a reason to. But note that the convertor does not allow you to use both Resolution and Crop size at the same time so keep that in mind.

Bitrate: Ignore completely in favor of next item.

Size limit: Now this one probably the most important, because your webM is pointless if you can upload it to the site you want to because it exceeds the file size limit. You may notice that I have it set to 3.06 MB, that's because in my experience, this convertor will play it "better safe than sorry" and stop converting a few dozen kilobytes under the limit. I let this bother me, so I have it set to a little higher than the limit I'm trying to respect to get closer to it.

Enable high quality mode: Always check this. ALWAYS. It will take longer but will help prevent blurriness when you convert video. Assuming that the original video wasn't blurry in the first place.

Enable: I don't know why you would check this, seeing how I didn't give you instructions on how to record audio in CamStudio.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that should be it. Have fun!

HOW TO START MODDING

Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]