View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Memory leak? 
Rank 4
Rank 4

I just tried the v3.0 at both 32 and 64 bit and it eats my ram like crazy. It slowly eats up all available ram (maybe over 1 min), and I have 16gb. Is it supposed to do that or is it a memory leak, or a bug on my side?

Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:52 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

Are you using directx or opengl in the settings? if your using one, try the other. Its likely due to some graphics acceleration program on your computer. Maybe a bug, but your the first I've seen with this issue here. Post it in the bugs thread with your hardware configuration and setting for the game. lets try to consolidate all bugs to one thread for the devs to be able to answer and give tips or plan patches.

HERE---> http://www.xmoonproductions.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3431

EDIT: also submit your trace file here http://www.xmoonproductions.com/support/

That way they can see exactly whats causing it.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:02 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

Just FYI, that's not a memory leak. A memory leak is when things aren't unloaded for memory when they should be and then forgotten about. When a program uses all available memory, it's not a memory leak, it's just allocating as much as it can. Now, if the program uses more and more memory each time you switch scenes or something, eventually crashing because it ran out of memory, than that's a memory leak. If it instead expands to fill memory as it runs, without crashing, then it's still not a memory leak.
TL;DR no crash = no leak. It's just a memory hog. Also, it's not the program's fault, it's how Windows handles memory.
Also, that memory isn't actually in use - you can still launch other applications and so forth. Windows is just freaking out because the program MIGHT want more memory in the future.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:13 pm
Rank 4
Rank 4

So, what happens exactly is that the games starts "reserving" memory as soon as it starts. Even if i don't do anything other then just starting the game it will fill out the my whole ram, between 14-15 gb and my whole system will clog down. If i try to use the game it will be very slow and jerky and eventually either crash or my system will freeze.
The tracer file doesn't say anything out of the ordinary and its the same effect with both direcX and OpenGL.

So, maybe it isn't a memory leak. But why is it only this game that gets this problem. I have never seen this type of problem before.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:48 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

linuxnofear wrote:
So, what happens exactly is that the games starts "reserving" memory as soon as it starts. Even if i don't do anything other then just starting the game it will fill out the my whole ram, between 14-15 gb and my whole system will clog down. If i try to use the game it will be very slow and jerky and eventually either crash or my system will freeze.
The tracer file doesn't say anything out of the ordinary and its the same effect with both direcX and OpenGL.

So, maybe it isn't a memory leak. But why is it only this game that gets this problem. I have never seen this type of problem before.

Hrm... that does sound like leak behavior, but it's not this program doing it. I don't experience anything like that and I have 8GB. In fact, it's using less than half a GB.
Just to be sure, have you run virus/spyware scans?

Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:43 pm
Rank 1
Rank 1

I can confirm, I got exactly the same problem, I only have 4gb ram, so it takes 20 seconds to fill it up and the game crashes
Start the game - 20 seconds - crash :(

P.S. Sorry I forgot my original username, had to make a new one

Attachments:
memory.jpg
memory.jpg [ 63.46 KiB | Viewed 18421 times ]
Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:45 pm
Rank 4
Rank 4

No, I haven't run any virus scans. You usually don't get viruses except you you visit stupid or press stupid buttons.
And even if it was, why would it only trigger on this program. I mean, not a single other program have the problem, so how would it not be the programs problem. It might be caused by something on the machine, but its the program that have the problem.

And so another have it.
And yes, it should be around 600-1000mb, a friend confirmed it.
I hope we can find a solution, can't wait to really try out this new update, good job! :)

Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:22 pm
Rank 17
Rank 17

linuxnofear wrote:
I just tried the v3.0 at both 32 and 64 bit and it eats my ram like crazy. It slowly eats up all available ram (maybe over 1 min), and I have 16gb. Is it supposed to do that or is it a memory leak, or a bug on my side?

You can run both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the game? Just what kind of computer architecture do you have???

HOW TO START MODDING

Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:53 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

Pickled Cow wrote:
linuxnofear wrote:

You can run both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the game? Just what kind of computer architecture do you have???

You can run 32 bit programs on a 64 bit machine.

Anyway, it's always possible to get malware, even from supposedly safe sites. The only way you can be sure is if you scan. Also, it's possible for malware to "fly under the radar" until you run a program that accesses certain things a certain way - and that doesn't mean the wrong way. For example, years ago I had one program consistently crash. It turned out that I had a failing memory stick and that program was accessing memory in a particularly optimized way. Had I not fixed it then, I would have run into the problem with more programs because that particular technology became more popular.
Yes, it's a weird problem that may seem unique to this game, but it's not happening to everyone, or even many. BTW this is why it's important to post your system specs. There is likely something common between the two people experiencing the problem.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:55 pm
Rank 4
Rank 4

Yeah, i did post my data in the "official" bug thread.

Edit: Doesn't seems to be virus or similar, did some scans and nothing they removed helped. Was mostly tracking cookies and ad-softwars anyway.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next