View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Some clarification (and updates) for the next update. 
Rank 9
Rank 9

[quote="xpadmin"
Current users will be able to upgrade to version 3.0 (for a small extra fee).
[/quote]

This really changes my mind about things. I still may go for it when I see some good polished results but considering the wait, the success of the crowd funding, and the feelings of buying an unfinished product I have for 2.1, I'm not as enthusiastic about the project. I have to express this as a customer.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:50 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

guymanyo wrote:
This really changes my mind about things. I still may go for it when I see some good polished results but considering the wait...

If you don't consider this in anyway polished, your standards are far too high for someone who's willing to play early access games, and an early access to an adult game at that. I have yet to see any adult game with better/more physics or graphics than this.

Honestly, if none of this is polished to you, then I urge you to tell me of an in-dev adult game that is.

guymanyo wrote:
...the success of the crowd funding...

Successful crowd funding was successful. What's your point here?

guymanyo wrote:
...and the feelings of buying an unfinished product I have for 2.1...

Your whole paragraph is heavily implying that you have never played a game while it was still in development before.

You feel like you are buying an unfinished product... because that is what you are buying: A product that is currently in development, but has reached the point in development whereby you can show it to the public, and say "look at what we are making! We have gone this far already, and are far from finished!".

guymanyo wrote:
...I'm not as enthusiastic about the project. I have to express this as a customer.

You need to remember that the "small fee" is the difference of what the game will cost minus what you have already paid. You pay $9 for the game now, if later it costs $12, you pay the extra $3 and you get the updated game.

It may not be what most early access developers do, but mathematically speaking, it's perfectly fair.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:56 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I understand that the next release takes longer than expected.

-----

Because we are building a physics,animation,graphics,ai,scripting,modeling engine (in other words a 'game engine') from scratch and also a game in it, this is a lot of work.
Current lines of code (c++): 15 million
Current poly count: 50 million

-----

Most games use an existing game engine, but because game engines focus mostly on shooters they our not suited for our needs.
Collision with the body of the characters in a detailed way is not needed for shooters / adventure based games.

A high end game engine like Unreal 4 might be suitable (I am not sure if they have [(soft)skin - fluid] collision, [(soft)skin - (soft) object] collision).
But those engines are very expensive (> 400.000 $) and then there is also a large chance they will not have the required features.

Unity is getting more stable and having good graphics now. But again they do not (yet) have the features we want.

-----

Because we also want modding later on to be possible, the scripts and setup also has to be clean and relatively easy to use.

On one hand we want a lot of new features in it, on the other hand we have to finish those features as well.
So one could say we have taken on to much new features, but once they are in there they will also make the game a lot better.

So its a difficult balance between new features and being realistic in making them.

-----

The first 8 months after release of version 2.1 we only included/investigated new features.
We now of course have stopped adding new features and are concentrating fully on finishing the next release.

I am not looking to make excuses because we are working very hard and that is all we can do.

-----

So I hoped things would go faster as well. (Releasing the game later also means less sales for us until it is released).
But that being said we will not fail and the next version will be released.

Games either succeed (meaning they are released) or fail (meaning they are not released).

:)

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:00 am
Rank 15
Rank 15

Not to mention trying to squash all the bugs as you go. x_X I can only imagine what it'd be like going through 15 million lines of code. I know from scripting NPCs in Ragnarok Online and screwing around with the computercraft mod in Minecraft how annoying and time consuming it can be to look through all that code. I've only ever done maybe one or two hundred at a time. Simpler stuff, I suppose.

Then again, I have no idea if those can even be compared to C++. :lol: I'll just continue to assume it's hard and annoying.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:54 pm
Rank 15
Rank 15

I knkw it's not easy but could you publish a postmortem after the release of 2.2?

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:31 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

xpadmin wrote:

Ooooh... That was my first computer language. If the whole thing's in c++, I might actually be able to do some serious modding.

Then again, the one thing that keeps stopping me from script modding games is that I can never figure out what or how to use any of the functions on he game.

I mean really... how do modders know what functions to use, and what libraries to import?

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:45 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

The modding will be possible without changing the c++ code. The game itself is scripted. The character animations is in .bvh format and the textures are several image formats. Examples of the script language can be found in the modding example section.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:20 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

The modding will be possible without changing the c++ code. The game itself is scripted. The character animations for example are in .bvh format, the textures in several image formats (.jpg, .png). Movies are in .mp4 and/or .avi format.

Examples of the script language can be found in the modding example section.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:21 pm
Rank 10
Rank 10

please @xpadmin copy your whole post and paste it in News rubric on xmoonproductions.org directly. People need to know.

xpadmin wrote:
I understand that the next release takes longer than expected.

-----

Because we are building a physics,animation,graphics,ai,scripting,modeling engine (in other words a 'game engine') from scratch and also a game in it, this is a lot of work.
Current poly count: 50 million

-----

Most games use an existing game engine, but because game engines focus mostly on shooters they our not suited for our needs.
Collision with the body of the characters in a detailed way is not needed for shooters / adventure based games.

A high end game engine like Unreal 4 might be suitable (I am not sure if they have [(soft)skin - fluid] collision, [(soft)skin - (soft) object] collision).
But those engines are very expensive (> 400.000 $) and then there is also a large chance they will not have the required features.

Unity is getting more stable and having good graphics now. But again they do not (yet) have the features we want.

-----

Because we also want modding later on to be possible, the scripts and setup also has to be clean and relatively easy to use.

On one hand we want a lot of new features in it, on the other hand we have to finish those features as well.
So one could say we have taken on to much new features, but once they are in there they will also make the game a lot better.

So its a difficult balance between new features and being realistic in making them.

-----

The first 8 months after release of version 2.1 we only included/investigated new features.
We now of course have stopped adding new features and are concentrating fully on finishing the next release.

I am not looking to make excuses because we are working very hard and that is all we can do.

-----

So I hoped things would go faster as well. (Releasing the game later also means less sales for us until it is released).
But that being said we will not fail and the next version will be released.

Games either succeed (meaning they are released) or fail (meaning they are not released).

:)

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:26 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

@thekresz

Do you mean the news rubric on xmoonproductions.com? Or in another place on the forum?

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next