View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 spam user 
Rank 6
Rank 6

:D :D

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:24 pm
Rank 6
Rank 6

If our dear admin was Putin, then hhe would have forced the game to be done already! :P

Putin = New Chuck Norris!

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:56 pm
Rank 9
Rank 9

meem wrote:
@ xpadmin
I think you have to make it a bit more tight in the forum, it's a very easy target at the moment, now again with that Edward445 asshole :(
When new people come to look for info on X-Player and they see a spam flooded forum, it is not good advertisement.
It's not user friendly but some options:

1) when signing in they either have to be granted access by the moderator(s) or they get an automated e-mail after signing in, in which they have to click a conformation link. This way they have to use a working e-mail (this is actually common practise for new users on most forums).

2) make the forum a bit more flood proof by setting a maximum amount of postings within a certain time and/or (if the forum software has it) a repetition recognition per user so all kind of duplicate postings/texts are blocked.

3) look for moderator(s).

I think most of us (and new users) rather have a bit more hassle then looking at these spammers.

1. Requires allot of attention from either Admin or Moderator, to much. And how do you know if someone is bad news?

2. wont save as most script can repeat over 30 min or so, A bot could still fill the forum allot over a night.

3. Valid but ... it has to be right people, in XMP case. Someone who is cross sea so that they don't watch the forum at the same time. Too pick someone out is going to require allot of time and some effort..

and there is also 4. Create custom Q&A when registering that forces new users answer a question that is not answer on the same page. Like What is the name of the game or What crowd funding service did XMP use and got successfully funded through?

Bot proof, but as XPadmin said, some seem to be people signing up and then using scripts to flood the forum....

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:12 pm
Rank 16
Rank 16

meem wrote:
@ xpadmin
I think you have to make it a bit more tight in the forum, it's a very easy target at the moment, now again with that Edward445 asshole :(
When new people come to look for info on X-Player and they see a spam flooded forum, it is not good advertisement.
It's not user friendly but some options:

1) when signing in they either have to be granted access by the moderator(s) or they get an automated e-mail after signing in, in which they have to click a conformation link. This way they have to use a working e-mail (this is actually common practise for new users on most forums).

2) make the forum a bit more flood proof by setting a maximum amount of postings within a certain time and/or (if the forum software has it) a repetition recognition per user so all kind of duplicate postings/texts are blocked.

3) look for moderator(s).

I think most of us (and new users) rather have a bit more hassle then looking at these spammers.

1 is a bad idea, because that can cause bugs whereby te admin never gets the e-mail, and the user has to make a different account under a different username and hope it works.

2 only delays the inevitable

3 is the best option, but is also the easiest to lead to mass abuse. The moderators will need to be held to even tighter rules than the users. Any and all reports from users about moderators must be taken seriously, and all users banned by the moderators must be public with fully explained reasoning and evidence.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:14 pm
Rank 5
Rank 5

And oh boy, we have another spamming assbag called Seidgedielm; xpadmin, if you see this along with the PM I sent you, I think you know what must be done

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:02 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I removed it. I have enough anti-depressives already.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:42 am
Rank 5
Rank 5

biffCevener, another one

Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:29 am
Rank 10
Rank 10

PrullMincher wrote:
biffCevener, another one

Please remove spam user...

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:20 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

It was worse when the forum started. Then it was about 4 times a day. Now its once a week.

I have about 400 ip's banned now (almost all from china).

The spammers use "real" people to circumvent the securities, so there is not a good solution to solve the problem.

The flooding itself must be an automated process. I will look into tricks to prevent this.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:34 am
Rank 16
Rank 16

xpadmin wrote:
It was worse when the forum started. Then it was about 4 times a day. Now its once a week.

I have about 400 ip's banned now (almost all from china).

The spammers use "real" people to circumvent the securities, so there is not a good solution to solve the problem.

The flooding itself must be an automated process. I will look into tricks to prevent this.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I know that the Kerbal Space Program Forum uses something called "Spam-O-Matic", which according to the forum site at this moment claims:

495511 Spammers Denied Registration

1212 Spammers Permanently Banned

1210 Spammers submitted to StopForumSpam

8146 Spammy Posts Automatically Moderated

Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next